Friday, September 14, 2012

In search of protein.

While at my neighborhood Lidl yesterday, I spotted a package of spinach pancakes. Huh, thought I. I'm supposed to eat a lot of vegetables and spinach is a vegetable. Why not try the pancakes again? (If you remember, they did not go over well when we first moved here. I've grown and changed. I would probably like them now!)

Just as I was about to reach for the spinach flavored ones, I saw these:
Blood pancakes.
I believe they are made with cow's blood.
Other delicacies found in Finland include blood brownies and blood sausage.

A lengthy inspection of the label confirms what I've heard.
These puppies are high in protein. Perfect! Into the cart they go.

Well, today I tried them. Just a tiny, tiny bite as my stomach was already rolling with the prospect of digesting blood. The verdict? They taste like unsalted liverwurst. With a strange after taste. They went in the garbage. I will not be trying the brownies or sausage.
 
 
On the plus side, I tried something new. I'll stick to chicken and turkey for my protein for the time being. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment