Friday, January 28, 2011

Busy, Fun, FRIDAY!

Kids got out of school at 12:00 today. Per tradition, we went out to lunch. Lauren and friends Inga and Lulu planned to go to the McD by the school and then hang out. Derek, of course, wanted to go to McD as well but we decided it wouldn't be cool to go to the same one as Lauren. So we checked out one closer to home.
Derek saw this and asked, "Who's the guy in the jail suit?" I never noticed when the other friends of Ronald McDonald exited the marketing plan. My kids don't know who these characters are! Hamburglar, Purple Guy, Minature Hamburglar, and Weird Bird. (Guess I don't know them either.)

Derek had a hip hop performance tonight and needed to be at the dress rehearsal at 4:00. We picked up two kids from the ward on the way, which turned out to be awesome because they had been there before. Parking was stinky. Got them where they were supposed to be and waited on Lauren and her friends to show up. Inga was in the performance as well. Lauren and Lulu came home with me. Dinner for them. Dan called around 5:00 and I told him about parking. He checked on tram schedules and suggested we do that. The girls and I left at 6:00 and met him at Kemira. Ditched the car and took the tram. Although I was nervous to be trying something new on a night when we needed to be on time, it was fine.

Got to the venue at 6:45 and the place was packed. We ended up sitting on the very last row on the main floor. (Didn't know about balcony seating until later. Darn.) Met Lulu's family there. 

The performace was a fund raiser for the the Azafady Charity in Madagascar. The director, who the kids call Mr. Banana because one time he wore a yellow suit, is from Madagascar. He gave an interesting presentation on his country and the hardships children are facing.

Derek's group danced to The Transformers and Montell Jordan. So proud of him. He was super excited to show us his moves.





Check for video on FB. It won't let me load here. Boo!

After the performance, Lauren went home with Lulu. (Since we don't do sleepovers, I picked her up at 11:00. Yawn.)

So that left Dan, Derek, and me to go back to Kemira on the tram. We were joking around waiting at the tram stop and I realized that everyone else was waiting quietly, minus the girl who was screaming into her cell phone for a bit. Silly, loud Americans. Our tram comes (#8) and we board. We have to scan our travel cards to pay for our tickets and before we can finish the tram starts moving. We don't have our 'tram legs' yet and we all start swaying and grabbing handrails. Now we really start laughing. It's impossible to stop the giggling and smiling. We are SO out of place on the tram. I look at all the stoic faces and wonder if they think we're drunk. Yes, even my 10 year old.

Fun night! Good night!

4 comments:

  1. How can they not know the hamburgerler?!?! When did he disappear?

    I can't believe Derek did a hip hop performance. That is so cool. I def didn't do anything hip like that when I was his age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must have disappeared before the kids were born. Isn't that bizarre? You think something will last forever and then it's torn from you.

    Proud of the boy. No way I would have done hip hop at his age, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you really want his video on the blog, I used onetruemedia.com for all mine. They download fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Nancy! I'm going to try it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete