Friday, April 8, 2011

Finnish Easter pudding

Mämmi is a traditional Finnish Easter pudding. Today while grocery shopping I stumbled across a small container of it, just right for Detter tasting.
Some Finns have told me that they love it. Some Finns have told me they hate it. All have said it looks like poo. One said it originated during a time in Finland when nothing was wasted. It's made of rye flour, rye malt, and molasses among other things.

And here it is...


We were told you needed to eat it with LOTS of cream. Not whip cream, but that's all we had.


It didn't taste bad, just different. Never had anything like it before.

Dan's reaction to me trying it.

Dan's turn!

My assessment: As far as desserts go it wasn't sweet at all. (My American sweet tooth talking.) While I wouldn't buy it again for our family, I'd eat it again if it were served to me somewhere.

Dan's assessment: "It was about what I thought it'd be. It was OK."

3 comments:

  1. What a fun name! Nothing like a squirt of Redi-whip to add an American touch to any dessert. After living in Austria, I found that my American sweet tooth had diminished substantially. I'm quite curious now and want to try some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did your sweet tooth stay diminished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devin likes it--we have a HUGE thing of it in the freezer, as he was ecstatic to see it again! :/ I can only eat a tiny bit of it, and only if there is a LOT of ice cream with it. Did you warm it up? It tastes a little better if it's warm... I even looked up a recipe to see if I could make it once we leave, but, um, no, I can't foresee myself making it since it takes ALL DAY (literally). I don't know who came up with it, but it's a weird thing. :D

    ReplyDelete