Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hodge podge

Today I got my studded tires switched out and the oil changed. I was at the garage for about 45 minutes and their phone rang non-stop for the first 30. At first I was impressed that people in the garage take priority over the phone. It's annoying to be talking to someone and have them stop and take a call, essentially making you wait while someone has just 'cut' in line by phone. Then I noticed that the guy working the desk ignored the phone even if there was no one waiting to talk to him. Ponderous. If I spoke Finnish I might have answered it for him because at about the 15 minute mark I couldn't concentrate on my book anymore. 

Also ponderous was my bill: 121.60 euro or about $204. Holy Schnikeys! $42 for the tire change and the rest for the oil change?!? It was the actual oil that was the bulk of it. 5.8 liters at 9.50 euro per liter. Yep, that's over $92 just for the oil. No words.

This made me laugh. And I needed a laugh after the trip to the garage.
This butter is good until July 11, 2011 at 14:58 (2:58 pm). And not one minute more??? It reminded me of the hug/work coupons Derek used to give me that not only had an expiration date but also an expiration time.

We had a nice Easter weekend. No work or school on Friday or Monday. Or, of course, Easter Sunday. We didn't have much planned. Just enjoyed each other, the new grill (YUMMY!) and did some work around the house.

Another Finnish Easter tradition. Finns plant grass seeds a few weeks before Easter so they can have 'new grass' to hide eggs, fake chicks etc in on Easter day. The new grass can be out in the yard or in a container like so...

Someone asked if Americans did this. Nope. We prefer to buy the fake stuff that gets all over your house and you find the last of just before you put up the Christmas tree.

I also learned that the day after stores have been closed for two days is not the best time to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment