Sunday, February 27, 2011

Funnies from February

When we're at church we sing the hymns in Finnish. I'm starting to remember more words. Last Sunday the word kana was in a hymn. Great, but kana means chicken. Why are we singing about a chicken? Turns out it wasn't chicken. It was kanna which means carry. OK, that makes more sense, but definitely not as funny.

Lauren: Please come outside to play with me. Derek: No. Lauren: PLEASE! Derek: Don't want to. Lauren: Give me three reasons why you don't want to. Derek: For one, it's cold...
(At this point I go into the bathroom. When I come out, they're both outside. Guess Derek only had that one reason.)


Dan to me: They cancelled the Formula 1 race in Bahrain. Lauren: Why? Dan: Because of the civil unrest. Lauren: I'm going to pretend I know what that is.

Discussing Lauren's upcoming school trip and who the chaperones might be. Lauren: I think the Art teacher is going. Dan: Is the Art teacher a man or woman? Lauren: I haven't had Art so I don't know. Me to Derek: You've had Art. Is the teacher a man or a woman? Derek: I don't know. Me: Huh? Derek: It's just an Art teacher!

Me to kids: If Daddy were a dog, what kind would he be? Kids, in unison: A Great Dane!

Every night, usually at dinner, the kids will tell us about their day. Occasionaly, Lauren can not wait until dinner and will tell me about her day on the drive home from school. This particular day was like that. She gave me a long, detailed account of her day. At dinner that night, Derek told us about his day and then I turned to Lauren and asked about her day. "Wait," I said, "You already told me about your day in the car." Derek agreed, "Yeah, it took FOREVER!" Said Lauren, "But it was only the highlights!"

One of my Mormon FB friends in the US is friends with the son of  the translator for our Sunday church services. After telling Dan this he said, "It's just crazy how small the Mormon world is. You should have a ride at Temple Square or something."

Me to Lauren: What homework do you have? Lauren: What do you mean? Me: I mean what homework do you have. (Derek laughing hysterically in background.)

This one is from November.
Open mouth, insert foot #321: Derek likes to call me on his cell phone at random times even if we're all in the house. He thinks it's funny. Just a minute ago Lauren was showing me something on the computer. My phone starts ringing and I dig it out of my purse. Derek's happy face shows up on the caller id. Grrr. Got me again. I answer, yell "You suck!" into the phone and hang up. Then I tell Derek to knock it off. He's all what? He doesn't have his phone. It rings again. It's Derek. What the what? Turns out he dropped his phone outside of the school and a lady found it and was trying to reach us. Oh my embarrassing. Lauren, "You probably shouldn't answer your phone like that anymore."

Thankful for a family that makes me laugh.

1 comment:

  1. And thanks for sharing so we could laugh too. I can't wait for that ride at Temple Square.

    ReplyDelete