I have an unhealthy attachment to plastic bags. It started when we moved here.
Grocery stores do not provide bags. If you're doing your normal food shopping you either bring your own bags or buy them. The only exception is when you buy a non-food item over a certain euro amount. I'm not sure what the amount is, but we've gotten free bags when we've bought boots, clothes, video games...you get the idea.
I have a bunch of bags in my trunk to use when we shop. Mostly cloth bags, some sturdier plastic ones, and a few 'normal' plastic bags. We're prepared. Unless we're in Dan's car. No bags in that trunk. When we're in his car, we have to buy bags. Like last night when we went to Stockmans. Five bags at 15 euro cents each. I think that's cheaper than most places, which is surprising because Stockmans is a pricey place.
75 cents is not a huge investment. However, I get those bags home and treat them like gold. They will not find their way to my trunk and into my grocery bag rotation. I will note which bags have tears from the milk cartons or other pointy food items. The bags will be folded and put away nicely by the Wal-Mart bags we brought home in January. (The free Wal-Mart bags. To quote Cinderella, 'Don't know what you got 'til it's gone.')
There are certain situations when one of these special plastic bags may be used. For example, after sending Derek to swimming with a cloth bag and him returning with a soaked cloth bag, I reluctantly pulled out a plastic bag for him to put his wet suit and towel in. Mind you, he was supposed to dry out said bag every week and reuse it each time.
Returning dishes to someone warrants a plastic bag. It's just wrong to hand someone a pile of dishes and say, 'Thanks for the food!' No, a plastic bag is clearly called for in this situation.
Sending food with someone also requires a plastic bag. How are they supposed to juggle the foil packs, the tupperware containers? Plastic bag to the rescue.
I suppose I'll send a plastic bag or two with Lauren on her trip. She'll need a place to put wet stuff.
As you can see, there aren't many occasions that require the use of a plastic bag. And yet, I continue to hold on to them like they are more important than life itself. I am ecstatic when we get a 'free' one. I can barely wait for it to be empty so I can fold it and carefully put it away. Why is this? I used cloth bags in the US. Why the sudden obsession with plastic? Is it because we pay for them? Is it because I can't go to my pantry and find an unlimited supply of them?
Until I figure out the answers to these questions I will always ask myself this: Is the situation plastic bag worthy?
That is hilarious!!
ReplyDeleteAnd to think I use my plastic bags to seal up the stench of a stinky diaper before tossing it outside.