Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Bowl Blues

Even though I normally don't care which two teams are in the Super Bowl, I do enjoy the traditions that our family has surrounding the game of all games. Food, commercials, food, and a bit of football watching.

Dan has been the driving force in creating these traditions and he's done a great job of getting the kids excited year after year. Even if they rarely get to stay up past half time.

Some years he let's them plan the menu all on their own. (I do believe it's my job to shop for the food. Who started that tradition?) Such menus always include Little Smokies, chips, and a variety of pops. (COKES for you Southerners!) 

Some years we have invitations. That's usually if we happen to have someone visiting us, like Grandma and Grandpa. Just in case they don't know they are invited downstairs to watch the Super Bowl. We wouldn't want them accidentally hanging out in their room all night.

One year we even had decorations! Handmade by the youngest Detters. They were so proud.

An awesome Super Bowl memory was when we lived in Indianapolis and the Colts were in the big game. Neighbors Russ and Julie Kimmet had a huge party and invited the majority of the neighborhood. The kids were stoked. A real life Super Bowl party and their friends would be there! Before kick off, we found out school had been delayed 2 hours the following day because of the cold. Or was it crazy snow? I don't remember, but it was great because there had been much discussion in Indy about how the Monday after the Super Bowl should be a state holiday or something because everyone was going to be up late watching the game. And to make it even more magical, and by 'it' I mean the party, the Colts won!

So now, this year, thinking about all these traditions and great times, I've got the Super Bowl Blues. The game will come on at 1:00 am on Monday. Even if we do stay up/get up, the commercials won't be shown. What's a Super Bowl without all the hysterical, expensive commercials? It's just not going to be the same watching them on YouTube Monday night.

I'm feeling like I did at Thanksgiving, knowing all of my family and friends were celebrating and we were going on like a normal day. It'll be a little easier since we'll be sleeping, but it will still hurt. We'll miss you this year, Super Bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Sad, Luka. :( If you were here, I would've invited you guys to our Super Bowl Party (with a fancy invitation.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember that school delay after the Superbowl. Was there even any snow on the group? I think IPS was forced to delay because so many bus drivers had already called in "sick". :)

    ReplyDelete