Every Valentine's Day my dad's mom, Grandma Char, would give us a box of conversation hearts. When my kids were little I wanted to start a tradition like that, but it petered out after the second year. Besides the kids giving valentines to classmates (not even doing that this year) that's the extent of this family's Valentine's Day celebration.
As you can tell, it's not a huge holiday in our house. I thought being in Finland we could glide over this day much like we glided over Halloween. (Minus that one hiccup of the four trick or treaters and the school Halloween disco.)
But surprise! Finland celebrates it as well although the meaning is not exactly the same...
"Valentines Day is celebrated all over the world on the 14th of February. In Finland this celebration arrived rather late, and was officially listed in the almanac in 1987. In Finland Valentines Day is called "Ystävänpäivä", which means "Friend's Day". Unlike many other countries where Valentines Day is mainly a day of "Romance", in Finland it is also the day when close friends send cards and gifts to each other, although it is a popular day to get married and engaged on." (From http://www.finnguide.fi/)
So to my friends, Happy Ystävänpäivä! This is all you're getting from me. :)

Happy Ystävänpäivä! To you as well! :) I will go as far as purchasing a cookie cake and let the kids exchange cards with their friends. But Garett and I could care less about the day. We agree in advance that there will be no exchanging of gifts or cards. It's a waste of money. Not saying I'd turn down jewelry, but I prefer to pick that stuff out. Last year we lost Charly's valentines day cards, just found them under the refrigerator in prefect condition so we are using them this year.. best part is that they are already labeled. LOL :)
ReplyDeleteDan and I are right there with ya, April. I love that you found intact Valentine's under the frig! LOL!
ReplyDeleteThat is more than what anyone got from me this year. I guess I don't have enough love to give. kidding.
ReplyDelete