Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Name Day

Dan and I were at the bank the other day and on the person's desk was a stack of small, put-in-your-wallet calendars. I pick one up, see it's in Finnish and notice that it doesn't have days of the week. The person helping us sees what I am looking at and tells me it is a calendar for Name Day. Every day of the year has a name associated with it. She says some people treat their Name Day like a birthday. Parties and cakes.

I tell her it's too bad we don't have Finnish names. She thinks for a bit and says, "Your name is Ruut in Finnish. It might be on there." Sure enough, Ruut's Name Day is Tammikuu (January) 4th. Bummer. Missed it! Dan's name in Finnish is...Daniel. His Name Day is Joulukuu (December) 11th. Sorry Lauren and Derek. No Name Day for you.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, Ulu. You don't have a Name Day even though there are women named Diana in Finland. A variation of your name is Dina or Disa. Here are some family member's Name Days-
    Netta-Jan. 21 (Aune, Oona, Netta)
    Ed-March 18 (Eetu, Edvard)
    Marie-July 2 (Maria, Maija, Mari)
    Nora-July 11 (Noora)

    And my favorite though not a relative...
    Elmo-Jan 3 (Elmeri, Elmo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren's name day would most likely be on the same day as "Laura" so on January 18th and Derek could probably be on same day with "Dennis" in the swedish calender so on 5th of May :)

    ReplyDelete